Thursday

Dissertation

Dissertation...a word feared by most students. A word that seemed to connote all things bad in the world a few months ago. I have had a love/hate relationship with my dissertation. I loved it at the beginning, I felt enthusiasitc and optimistic. But then I hit a wall - where to go now? Is this feasible? Where do I find this information? 


So true, it's scary!


Well, in good, military fashion (my brother and Grandad would be proud) I leaped over that wall and I'm back in a position were I am once again feeling the love for my 10,000 word essay. 


My work station


My dissertation questions 'To what extent should internet service providers (ISPs) be held liable for user generated content in the UK?'


Huh?! Right!? Well, put simply, when you illegally upload or download a song, film or programme, have you ever thought who may be liable? Well that is what my dissertation queries. So far, it has become apparent that you, the user, is liable. However, liability could fall to the poor ISP if they had knowledge of the actions occurring through their site. The latter is also more economically justifiable as the ISP is easier to find and the public would not react lightly is consumers were sued.


Of course, this is not the full extent of my dissertation and I aim on doing a post dedicated to my findings as I complete my second chapter.


To most of you, this will sound boring. But to me, it is truly interesting. As I continue to uncover things and find new sources of information and as the writing process continues, I fall more in love with my topic. I will actually be sad when it is over. Although I will be ecstatic and bouncing off the walls as I write that final full-stop, it will be sad to say bye to my baby that I have worked so hard towards, dreamt about, discussed endlessly with those who will listen and with those who merely pretended to listen.

3 comments:

  1. I pretend to listen....

    From this comment you can clearly decipher that I have reached step 2 in the 6 steps to completion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I relate...

    I wrote theses, a PhD from Wales, an MPhil from Bangor. All the best with your dissertation and law studies, Rachel.

    'To most of you, this will sound boring. But to me, it is truly interesting.'

    Lol. Yes, often how it works,. But if you set-up a blog people will read and reciprocal followers can even be found.:)

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...