Thursday

Stop slandering intelligent women!

"A woman has to be intelligent, have charm, a sense of humor, and be kind. It's the same qualities I require from a man.' Catherine Deneuve. 

Today on 'Loose Women', the ladies discussed the recent on-line abuse received by a few female contestants on 'University Challenge'. This led to the discussion that men are intimidated by intelligent women.

In my opinion, men are often challenged by successful and intelligent women. Over history, men have always been perceived as the 'man of the house', the 'bread winner', and until 1880, were the only educated sex. Times have changed and women are becoming a lot more independent and a lot more successful without the help of a man.

Further, brainy women are often cruelly stereotyped as 'unfashionable', 'ugly' and 'geeky'. But that is far from reality. Take a look at some successful and intelligent women, they are beautiful; Marie Curie, Karren Brady, Carol Voderman (rear of the year), Maya Angelou, Segolene Royal... the list could go on and on. It seems that society needs to stop branding intellectual women so harshly as intelligence is one of the greatest assets a woman can hold.

But it is not just men that can be intimidated by intellictual women, other women can become envious too. I have a super intelligent friend who has just graduated from Cambridge University with an English degree, she is beautiful and has a fantastic personality; I used to want to hate her as she was seemingly 'perfect', but she was a close friend and so lovely, it was hard not to like her. However, other girls in school would envy her, as she fought off the endlessly interested boys and continually had A*'s...why do intellectuals recieve such a hard time?

As a rather intelligent person, I sometimes wonder what people's perspective is of me and whether I intimidate men. I never want to be a 'kept woman', I want to work and earn my own money. I would be extremely proud if I was the ultimate 'bread winner'; but what is a man's reaction to this?

Frankly, if men are unable to accept intelligent women then it is their loss!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...